Ms. Los Angeles Leather Contest Application
June 1st – 3rd 2018
June 1st – 3rd 2018
The mission of the Ms. Los Angeles Leather contest is to recognize a member of greater Los Angeles community who can be effective in helping to strengthen the LA women’s leather communities and be a strong ambassador to other leather communities both in and out of LA, with highest standards of integrity, honor, education and play.
- Ms. Los Angeles Leather contest is open to all persons regardless of race, religious/spiritual beliefs, political affiliation, sexual orientation, gender, gender identity and/or gender neutrality. All contestants should be secure in the ability of representing the “Ms.” Title for the Title year.
- To be eligible to enter the Ms. Los Angeles Leather contest, the contestant must be at least 21 years of age on June 1, 2018 and have a valid form of identification.
- Any contestants holding other titles, who have not stepped down prior to the Ms. Los Angeles Leather contest must provide confirmation that their title sponsor has consented to the contestant’s participation in the Ms. Los Angeles Leather contest at the time .
- Sponsorship for the Ms. Los Angeles Leather contest is optional. A Contestant is not required to have a sponsor(s) to run for the Ms. Los Angeles Leather Title, nor will she/they be judged based on Sponsorship.
- Contestants must agree to be photographed and shall be referred to by their chosen scene name (if applicable) unless otherwise specified (as outlined in the below Contestant Application) in future publications as decided by Ms. Los Angeles Leather LLC, including, but not limited to media releases, photographs, images and/or likeness, video of the Ms. Los Angeles Leather contest, web broadcast, internet/print promotional/publicity materials. Further, all images taken by or for the producer of the Ms. Los Angeles Leather contest are the property of Ms. Los Angeles Leather LLC. Each Contestant is required to sign and submit a Photographic Release and Disclaimer and Release of Liability upon submission of Ms. Los Angeles Leather application.
- Contestants agree to be interviewed by the media about their participation in the Ms. Los Angeles Leather contest before, during or after the competition upon the request of the contest producer..
- Contestants are required to assemble a basket and/or items to be raffled/auctioned off during the contest weekend. All revenue generated from the raffle/auction will go towards funding the winner’s travel fund. Any item not sold during the event remains the property of Ms. Los Angeles Leather LLC. There is no requirement for a minimum or maximum monetary value or number of items but consideration should be given towards the items reflecting the contestant’s personality and tastes.
- The winner of the Los Angeles Leather contest must produce one fundraising event for the benefit of the Ms. Los Angeles Leather title, as approved in advance by the contest producer, prior to the 2019 contest.
- The winner of the Ms. Los Angeles Leather contest is required to attend the following community/leather events: and responsibilities:
- Ms. LA Leather 2019 – date TBA;
- Mr. LA Leather 2019 – date TBA;
- A minimum of five feeder contests for Mr. LA Leather 2019.
- Any LA based women’s contest held in advance of the Ms. Los Angeles Leather contest for 2019.
- A minimum of five regularly scheduled monthly meetings by the Los Angeles Leather Coalition (and provide a report to LALC at the meeting).
- Los Angeles Pride 2018 – June 10, 2018;
- San Diego Leather Pride and/or Palm Springs Leather Pride
- A minimum of one pre-scheduled in person or phone meeting each month with the producer of Ms. Los Angeles Leather.
A. Meet and Greet (20 points): This is the first formal opportunity the Contestants will have to meet the judging panel. The Meet and Greet will occur on Friday June 1, 2018 at 8 p.m. at the Eagle 562
i. You will be asked to promote the silent auction and/or sell raffle tickets Ms. LA Leather;
ii. Contestant number draw will occur at the Meet & Greet towards the end of the evening;
iii. You will be required to stay until either dismissed by the contestant coordinator or at a designated curfew time.
B.Interview (50 points): Interviews are open to the public. Interviews are scheduled to commence on Saturday June 2, 2018 at 11:00 a.m. at Sanctuary LAX. The judging panel will interview the contestants for a period of approximately 25 minutes. Questions may include, but are not limited to, community contributions, personal history, Leather history and current events.
i. Interviews are not open to other contestants or primary handlers of other contestants);
ii. ALL forms of recording, including but not limited to video and/or audio are absolutely PROHIBITED.
If a Contestant is found encouraging and/or requesting the interview be recorded in ANY manner, she/they will suffer a reduction in interview points and face possible disqualification as well as precluded from applying and/or attending any future Ms. LA Leather contests.
iii. Contestants will be sequestered during the duration of the entire interview process and will be asked to abstain from utilizing electronic communication while interviews are being conducted.
C. Bar Wear/Introduction (20 points): The contestants will be introduced to the audience in their bar wear. Contestants two and beyond will leave the stage and contestant number one will answer a pop question, which they will be permitted to read to themselves before the MC reads the question aloud to the audience. Once they have answered, they will leave the stage making way for the next contestant and so on until every contestant has answered their pop question
i. Pop questions can either be serious or funny in nature.
ii. Bar wear is defined as what you would wear when going to your local leather bar and/or other casual leather gathering.
D. Fantasy (40 points): Fantasies will be performed on stage during Saturday’s show. Fantasies are the highlight of the contest and the contestant coordinator will work with contestants to provide the best possible stage performance.
i. The performance may not exceed FIVE minutes and must be completely performed within area on the stage.
ii. Contestants should plan for ease of setting up/taking down of any props being used (must take no longer than 60 seconds to set up and 60 seconds to take down).;
iii. Contestants may use audio (music, spoken word, voiceovers) to enhance their performance (though this is not required).;
iv. All spoken words within the fantasy must submitted in writing to the contestant coordinator by May 31, 2018 for ASL interpretation;
v. A description of the fantasy scene must be submitted in writing to the contestant coordinator by May 27, 2018.
1. Submission must include explanation of the scene, props and music general theme of the fantasy scene.
2. ANY possible “TRIGGER”s (A term used to describe sensations, images, or experiences that TRIGGERs a traumatic memory and/or event.) must be outlined in said submission. Please note, you may be asked to modify or make adjustments. [Examples to outline a few: simulated rape scene, gun shots/imagery of ANY kind in your music, race play, age play. Anything that aims to mock, punish compromise and/or harm any individual, group will not be allowed.
3. The producer of the Ms. Los Angeles Leather contest reserves the right to define and/or amend its understanding of the term TRIGGER at any time.;
4. If a TRIGGER is a part of the contestant’s fantasy scene, but approved by the contest producer, a warning will be announced prior to the Contestant taking the stage.
vi. Any music needed to be played during the fantasy scene must be stored on a thumb drive and submitted to the contestant coordinator by Saturday June 1, 2018. Please note, music stored by any other methods will not be accepted.
E. Leather Spirit (10 points): Your Den Daddy/Contestant Coordinator will award these points according to your timeliness with completed tasks, adherence to the rules and instructions set forth and the manner by which you interact with the staff, volunteers, and attendees.
F. Speech/Formal Wear (40 points): Contestants will give their Speech on stage during Saturday’s show. Each contestant has ninety (90) seconds to speak on a topic of their choice. This segment is intended to showcase the contestant and their ability to connect with not only the judging panel but also the audience. Although mics will not be turned off at the 90 second mark, the contestant may suffer a reduction in points if they exceed the allotted 90 seconds. Allowance will be made for audience interruptions.
i. A written copy of the speech must be submitted to the contestant coordinator by Thursday, May 31,2018 for ASL interpretation;
ii. Only the contestant coordinator and ASL interpreter(s) will have the text of the speech unless it requires review by the contest producer of potential triggers or inappropriate content, as may be determined by the contestant coordinator.
iii. The speech does not have to be approved unless it includes TRIGGERs or inappropriate content, as may be determined by the contestant coordinator.
iv. If a TRIGGER is part of your speech, but approved by the contest producer, a warning will be announced prior.
G. Hotwear/Pop Question (20 points): Each Contestants will be asked a Pop Question on stage during Saturday’s show. Each Contestant will have the opportunity to dazzle the audience and judging panel with intellect and/or quick wit, while they strut their stuff in Hot Wear.
i. Your outfit should capture your Leather likeness and should make you feel hot, sexy, fierce and most importantly, confident;
ii. Contestant will draw a Pop Question, will be given an opportunity to read it to themselves before the MC reads it aloud to the audience;